Friday, January 18, 2013

The Best Pork Roast. Ever.

That's a pretty bold claim, isn't it? I don't care - I stand by every word. The only reason it's not "The Best and Easiest Pork Roast" is because the easiest food is the food that someone else makes. Can I get an amen?
I've had Jan Karon's Mitford Cookbook and Kitchen Reader for a while and have made a few things from it, but not many. While I was flipping through it during Christmas break, I thought it would be a good idea to rectify the situation. And while the book calls this recipe "Emma's Pork Roast", I think my name is more descriptive. :)

Emma's Pork Roast, from Jan Karon's Mitford Cookbook and Kitchen Reader
4tsp seasoned salt
2 tbsp flour
2tbsp dried thyme
3-4 lb pork roast
2 tbsp vegetable oil
4 cups chicken or beef stock
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
2 onions, peeled and quartered
1 cup sliced button mushrooms (I omitted these)
1 1/2 lb new potatoes, quartered
1 cup baby carrots
 
Mix together the seasoning blend, flour, and thyme and rub it all over the roast. Warm the oil in a large pot over med-high heat. Place the roast in the pot and brown. Add stock and vinegar, then the onions and mushrooms (if using) and reduce the heat to a simmer (about 3 on my stove). Cover and cook for about four hours.
Add the potatoes and carrots, cover and continue to cook for another 30-45 minutes. When it's done, remove the roast and let it rest, covered, for 10 minutes before slicing.
So much yum.

4 comments:

Danielle said...

I like that cookbook. I don't own it and never made anything from it, but just enjoyed reading it.

Leanne said...

For the less adept (i.e., me), what kind of pork roast did you use? Do you think it matters?

Kelly said...

I think the recipe called for pork butt, but I'm pretty sure I used a pork shoulder and it came out wonderfully. I'd use any joint, really, because even the cheaper cuts of meat will come out tender with a long, slow cook. I'd avoid tenderloin for this recipe - tenderloin is expensive and it just wouldn't seem right to pay a lot of money for something when the cheaper cut would do the job, you know?

Leanne said...

That's basically what I was thinking - thanks for confirming! I think I'm going to try it later this week - seems like a good week to have the stove on all afternoon! :)