You know how everyone has that dish they love, and they're looking for the perfect version of it to recreate at home? Toby's thing is tiramisu - none has ever been better than the one he would get at a subterranean, little Italian restaurant in Cambridge.
For me, it's chicken salad.
Now, I will say that Panera's is good - really good. But I can't shop at Panera every day (even though it's now walking distance), so if I'm gonna enjoy it, I've gotta make it myself. And now that I've found this mega-yummy recipe, make it I shall:
- 3 1/2 cups cooked, shredded chicken (about 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast halves)
- 1 cup diced celery (about 3 stalks)
- 2/3 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries, such as Craisins, roughly chopped
- 2 Tbsp finely grated Parmesan cheese
- Sliced bread, for serving (here is a great recipe)
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup apple juice
- 3 Tbsp honey
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp prepared yellow mustard (optional)
- 1 Tbsp poppy seeds
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- In a large mixing bowl toss together shredded chicken, celery, pecans, dried cranberries and Parmesan cheese, set aside. In a separate mixing bowl whisk together all ingredients listed for the dressing until well blended. Pour dressing mixture over chicken mixture and toss to evenly coat. Serve over sliced bread, croissants or rolls. Store in refrigerator.
- Recipe Source: Cooking Classy
It's not too moist and not too dry. The pecans and craisins add such a great texture, but can be left out for the allergic. It's great on regular wheat bread, but really excels on fresh, crusty French bread. Mmmm, hmmmm.