Sunday, November 13, 2011

The Conference Cowl

This is it (I think) - the last completed project update!
It was a great project. I had a ball of Malabrigo Rios left over from my Estelle and I needed a project that was interesting but not too involved to take along to the Sovereign Grace Pastor's Conference. This pattern and this yarn made for a beautiful pair.

I began on the car-ride down to Gaithersburg and finished the day we came home. Perfect.

Plus, I learned two things:
1. Blocking is so important. I already knew this, but the reminder was helpful. When it was first finished and I put it on, it looked like a large, blue caterpillar was attacking me. It was more than a little snug around my neck, and I was preparing to give it away. But once home and suitably blocked, the fibers really r  e  l  a  x  e  d, and there was a lovely drape to it. No more(wo)man-eating caterpillars here.

2. When you drop your yarn in the middle of a meeting and the ball rolls under the dozen or so rows in front of you, several things will happen: the yarn will pick up dust and fluff, people will turn and look at you, you will want the floor to open up and swallow you whole, you will have to ask a patient man to throw that ball of yarn back behind his feet so you can get to it, he will look at you like you have 3 heads as you scrabble about on the floor, you will feel like an utter moron, and you may never live it down. I'll get back to you on the last one.
For real. 

2 comments:

Briana Almengor said...

absolutely hysterical! and why I so do like you, Kelly. ;)
I wanted to be at that conference for several reasons; you just gave me another...would have loved to have witnessed that.
Is some of your crew ill? Missed seeing you at church this a.m.

Zoanna said...

"Conference cowl"--clever, girl.

I really like that color and pattern. But my favorite was your story. The yarn wasn't the only thing rolling on the floor.