Friday, July 25, 2008

Living up to the name

So that you don't think we were just being fanciful with the 'wildlife' portion of the title, below are some examples we've found in and around the house...



A robin's nest under the deck - there were two nests in the end. This nest was eventually abandoned, but the other hatched 2 eggs - so cute!





Meet the wren that made it INSIDE the house, and is trying desperately to get out. I'm not sure who was more eager for him to escape - him or me



An impressive little tree frog, the exact color of our shed.

See?



Apparently, box turtles are pretty common around here. We're not sure how this guy managed to get into our garden or get out again, but he spent a week touring the whole yard. I suspect he was on vacation...Fancy spending it with us



Finally, meet the scary, hairy spider that lurks in our shed. We don't know what sort it is (thought it was a wolf spider at first, but unlikely), but we think it's a male by the polop-y 'fangs' on the front. He's not too bad, really - we all leave each other alone and he keeps the bugs down. Not a bad deal really.






1 comment:

Becoming a Morrison said...

Okay...so first of all...YOU HAVE A BLOG!!!! Why have you been hiding this from me??? I'm going to go to my room and cry...I thought we were friends!

Okay...now that my tantrum is over...Box Turtles are my favorite! They remind me of my father who at the age of 49 would still catch and keep them for the summer, then return them to wild in fall for their winter hypernation. When he'd find his summer turtle...his eyes would light up like he was 5 again...it's so funny...