Thursday, March 4, 2010

Some hits...and some misses

In spite of the quiet, there's been plenty of last-minute making going on. Some good, some not so good. For instance, some baby quilts to donate to the local Birthright Pregnancy Center. Both are from the scrap box, one is piece totally with old T shirts, which will be lovely and soft. Good. Also good is the T shirt dress. Abi was requesting dresses, and I didn't want to invest the time to start from scratch for a cold-weather outfit, so I went for the cutting the bottom off a hand-me-down shirt and attaching a gathered skirt. Nice and long to cover those long legs of hers.
Okay, really long, but this is the pre-hemmed version. Checked the length, though, and I'll only be taking off a couple of inches. That girl is tall!
I like the print on the fabric - another from the Grandmom Stash!
The summery version is less impressive because I didn't cut the waist short enough. I could probably change it, but I'm really not inclined to bother. I'm thinking "summer play dress" and a lesson learned.
A Hit: kitchen cloths from this pattern. We needed some more kitchen cloths and while most normal people just go and buy new ones, I've never been one for "normal", plus I had the cotton yarn. So three cloths in three days isn't too bad.

2 cloths are the knitted seed stitch on the left and one is the double crochet un-pattern on the right. Just for variety, you understand.

And the biggest success & failure of the bunch: the bag. Found instructions online for making a zippered pouch/bag and decided to give it a shot - gotta use up those scraps somehow and I'm thinking my knitting bag needs a pouch for needles, pins, tape measure, etc that isn't a Ziploc bag. So, instructions were great - I looked at them real good, then got up and did it from memory. I did a pretty good job, too...
...except for one little detail...

On the left, we have the correct side of the fabric facing out, and on the right, the incorrect side facing. What a bummer. Of course, I could go back and fix it, but I don't see that happening. I'll hang onto it as another lesson learned - both in humility and paying attention.
Tomorrow is my due date. I've spent the past 2-3 weeks thinking that this little boy was going to come early, but I'm not seeing that anymore. I suppose he'll get here when he gets here, and I'll be filling the time until he does...

1 comment:

Mrs A. said...

Congratulations on the birth of Daniel Williams.From aunt & uncle and all the cousins and great cousins here in England.
Mums'sis.